Brown-Forman Vineyard Manager - Sonoma-Cutrer Vineyards in Windsor, California
Meaningful Work From Day One Responsible for implementing farming functions for approximately 500 acres of Sonoma-Cutrer’s vineyards. Oversee and direct tasks of hourly ranch crews; execute farming plans, perform/manage special projects.
Includes but not limited to direct supervision of hourly vineyard crews and crew leaders, as well as coordinate contract labor employees. Ensures all employees follow safety guidelines and procedures. Trains, enforces, and follows safety programs and guidelines for all vineyard areas. Timely and accurate processing of hire, layoff, and payroll information for both regular FTE and seasonal contract labor; working with Viticulturist on implementation of spraying, fertilization, and pest control management plans; Responsible for frost protection.
What You Can Expect
Vineyard and Crop Management (50%)
• Develop and implement vineyard farm plans, organize vineyard crews, both internal and external contract labor, manage equipment and resources necessary to successfully farm ranches and produce grapes of the highest quality
• Responsible for all aspects of vineyard management, to include but not limited to: frost protection, direction of crews for cultural passes (pruning, suckering, leafing, thinning and harvest), direction of field staff on cultivation and spray passes, irrigation and fertilization management, data collection and other projects as identified.
• Directly responsible for frost protection on one estate ranch, and oversee frost protection on other two ranches
• Work with Crew Leaders to set output standards and schedules for vineyard field work.
• Interact with Winemaking Department to accomplish quality goals in the vineyard
• Implement Vineyard experiments
Personnel Management (50%)
• Estimates personnel needs, ensures appropriate work assignments, and make appropriate crew adjustments based on job requirements
• Communicate and coordinate external Farm Labor Contractors labor needs with Vineyard Operations Manager.
• Work closely with crew leaders, Payroll and Vineyard Finance team to ensure the timely and accurate collection of payroll data.
• Maintain close supervision of the field crews through Crew Leaders to assure quality and quantity standards are being met.
• Monitors/manages subordinates’ performance and provides appropriate and timely feedback for improved performance and/or to reinforce positive performance
• Hires, trains, supervises, motivates, evaluates and develops vineyard staff.
• May assist in the hiring of outside vendors or contractors for various services.
• Involvement in vineyard redevelopment projects
We Are Looking For People Who
• Have a Bachelor of Science degree in Viticulture, Plant Science or related field is preferred and 3-5 years of experience OR 10+ years of vineyard management experience in premium grape growing region
• Experience growing Chardonnay and Pinot Noir highly preferred
• Strong leadership skills, and ability to motivate employees and outside labor contractors
• Thorough knowledge of viticulture practices and experience in vineyard planning
• Knowledge of equipment operations and management
• Experience with vineyard redevelopment
• Valid CA Driver’s License
• Comfortable using computers, including programs such as, Excel, Word, Database, Email, Weather programs and Internet (experience with AgCode Database a plus)
• Bilingual English/Spanish required
• PCA, PCO or Applicator’s license strongly preferred
What You Can Add To The team
• Ability to document and maintain farming and payroll data
• Must possess strong verbal and written communication skills
• Must be able to communicate technical processes and procedures to others, and to clearly document these processes and procedures
• Commitment to safety excellence and producing work of the highest quality
• Demonstrated proficiency managing and motivating employees
• Competencies - Detailed Oriented, Innovative, Planning and Organizing, Initiative and Building Relationships
• Ability to lift and carry 40lbs
• Requires travel between ranches
• Able to work in all weather conditions including hot/cold weather temperatures, mud, dust, soft soil, walk in uneven terrain
• Ability to work extended hours, weekends, and holidays, as needed
• Work nights during frost season and harvest, as needed
Brown-Forman Corporation is committed to equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. It is the policy of Brown-Forman Corporation to provide full and equal employment opportunities to all employees and potential employees without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, veteran status, age, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, genetic information, physical or mental disability or any other legally protected status.
Business Area: Global Production
Req ID: JR-00003425